Here’s another entry in the Chatelaine Baking School series. If you like cupcakes, watch this for my two easiest methods for frosting. And when in doubt, always add sprinkles!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 225-g pkg unsweetened chocolate, chopped, melted and cooled
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 tsp instant coffee powder (optional)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 6 cups icing sugar, sifted
- ¾ cup milk or cream
- Beat butter in a large bowl, using a wooden spoon and some elbow grease (or an electric mixer on medium), until creamy.
- Add melted chocolate, vanilla, salt and 1 cup icing sugar. Beat for 1 min. With mixer on medium-low, add remaining sugar in 3 parts, alternating with milk and ending with sugar. Beat on medium-high, scraping down sides of bowl as needed, until fluffy and smooth, 1 to 2 min. Makes enough to frost one cake or 24 cupcakes.