Carrots never get the kind of attention that cauliflower and Brussels sprouts do. That’s ok, they can be our little secret. My favourite carrots are either raw, in slaws or dipped in some kind of creamy situation, or roasted and slathered with flavoured butter like these ones. These go well with all kinds of main courses, from roast chicken to garlic spaghetti.
- 2 lbs carrots
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ⅛ teaspoon each cumin, ground ginger and allspice
- ⅓ cup chopped toasted pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Peel carrots and slice in half lengthwise (or into quarters if they are particularly large). Transfer to prepared sheet and drizzle with oil. Toss to coat, then sprinkle with salt. Roast 20 to 25 min or until tender. Mash butter with honey and spices. Dot carrots with spiced butter and toss gently to coat. Roast another 5 min or until sizzling. Sprinkle with pecans. Serve immediately.